Sailboat pop-up with curved sail

Share your progress, ask questions or discuss techniques about pop-ups and movables
PaperPaul
Sailboat pop-up with curved sail

Post by PaperPaul » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:41 pm

Hi!

I wanted to share this project now it’s halfway finished. I would like to add artwork and colors but it will take some time to disassemble and trace, but also to find an illustration style that fits. I’m thinking to use water coloring for this theme.

I wanted to create a pop-up of a sailboat with a curved sail. I’ve looked it up and if I’m right, it’s not been done before. The sails mechanism works a bit like the pop-up flower mechanism (Ray Marshall’s Paper Blossoms) but with two base pillars. One pillar is the longest and this makes the sail curl.

youtu.be/l_-rNANtVtY

The boat is positioned on the left side of the main (a-symmetric) V-fold so it’s off center. The lighthouse gets pulled by the right side of the V-fold and there are two layers in the lighthouse base. There’s a slot on the back to guide the back side of the base so the ring in the top positions horizontally.

The boat is a box and the waves pull the box into its optimal shape. So the waves came in handy to make the box pop out perfectly in shape and keep everything in place.

There’s a tutorial on YouTube by the PopupChannel that explains the flower mechanism. If you would like to know more, make sure to check it out.
Playing with paper 8< and collecting pop-ups [][] - Follow me on Instagram and Facebook

le_creusois

Re: Sailboat pop-up with curved sail

Post by le_creusois » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:25 pm

I can't wait to see the final result :)

stinkypants

Post by stinkypants » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:58 pm

hello there!
this is a beautiful creation, just wondered if you have progressed any further with it?
regards.

PaperPaul

Post by PaperPaul » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:50 pm

Hi stinkypants, nice username! :lol:

Thanks. I didn't make a new version yet but it's on my list for a second try. I hope anytime soon. I don't feel like taking it apart and tracing everything so I have to rebuild it carefully.
Playing with paper 8< and collecting pop-ups [][] - Follow me on Instagram and Facebook